Wednesday, February 16, 2011

5 Minutes

A lot needed to get done today.  Laundry, cake cookies for the swim team, cleaning, meeting, practice, and packing up two little ones plus us for the weekend.    Most of these things had been accomplished, but I still had a long way to go and I am tired and bedtime ALONE is staring me straight in the face.  I quickly got pajamas on both little ones, teeth brushed and then Little One asked the dreaded question.  "Will you read me a book?"  UGG! I was SO close!  I almost had Little One in bed before he remembered!  I took a deep breath and sat down on the couch while Little One ran to get a book.   One book; I can do this.

As I sat down begrudgingly to read one of his favorite Thomas books (which seemed longer than usual tonight), Little One curled up next to me, wrapped his arms around my arm and then rested his head on my shoulder and looked up at me with a smile from ear to ear.   My heart sank at the realization that I almost missed this moment.   I tried to trade it in for an extra 5 minutes of packing!    That makes me sick to my stomach.   Since when are my "tasks" more important than a proper bedtime routine.    Since when are my "tasks" more important than a special moment with my little one.   These moments will not last forever.   Soon I am going to become the uncool mother.   Soon Little One is no longer going to want  to spend time with me, let alone snuggle and read stories.  Soon my little ones are going to be grown up and I am going to wonder where all the time went.    I hope and pray I don't trade it in to pack, do dishes or clean the bathroom.   Those tasks can wait 5 minutes while I cherish a snuggle with my little ones.

4 comments:

  1. Good point.
    I find myself hoping Rae will forget about a book often so Isaac and I can spend some time together. I have to keep reminding myself that it is also good for her. She loves to read and especially with the language delay reading is one of the best things (although I find it hard to believe because we read to her so much) But anyway... It is also very important for JD, as he didn't get read to enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how I get that tug on my heart before the moment passes and I don't entirely miss it, just like you didn't. you wrote beautifully on the great balancing act of motherhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I love this. You take awesome pictures! Sad I will miss cake cookies but good luck this weekend. Also, you still have a free babysitting pass from christmas sophomore year so you should use it to celebrate the end of the season with ryan! Miss seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your last 2 posts, they brought tears to my eyes, what you are saying is so true, beautiful job!! hugs from us to you !

    ReplyDelete